Food
I've tried quite a few Kazak and Russian dishes since I've been here, and most of them have been pretty good. My favorite so far is the village style cutlet, with mashed potatoes, that I ordered in the cafeteria (stolovaya) in our building. I've also tried chicken shashlik (shish ka bob), plov (rice, meat, and vegetables, cooked in oil), and some perogie-type things filled with cheese. Most of the traditional foods are fairly heavy, and involve a lot of bread/starch. On my first weekend here, I tried some horse meat cold cuts--tough, and not real flavorful, in my opinion. I need to try it hot.
The locals always seem to have at least three courses for lunch and dinner-- soup, salad, and the main course. I usually just stick with the main course for lunch. The salads are mayonnaise and tomato heavy, and I've been avoiding the soup since I splashed borscht all over one of my dress shirts last week. Plus, eating all three courses for lunch would be way too much-- the “light lunch" is a foreign concept here. I have yet to see my former mainstay--a good old turkey and cheese sandwich. Now that I think about it, I haven't any sandwiches whatsoever.
There are probably 15 to 20 quality restaurants in town. I've been to three or four, and have many more to explore. Unfortunately, the prices are not any better than in DC. It's kind of unsettling, but every time we're in the restaurant we seem to be the only party, or are one of two or three parties. The locals that can afford to eat out must eat much later when we're accustomed to (or else, the prices are so expensive because they can only count on one or two parties a night to keep the place open). My favorite so far is Boden-Boden, a German themed restaurant with beer can sized butane lighters on every table in the shape of a wooden keg.
Because my mobility is limited, I've only been to two grocery stores in town, and didn't have a lot of time to linger and explore. There's a pretty wide selection of food, mostly European (definitely nothing from the United States). Most of the packaged goods are heavily processed / artificial / full of sugar-- definitely no organic foods, and rarely an attempt to even market it as healthy. I feel like I'm shopping at a dollar store--lots of strange brand names, and uncertain quality. Unfortunately, the prices really aren't that much cheaper than in the US. I need to keep exploring and find some brand names that I like. Eventually, I'll hire someone to cook for me a couple of times a week—it may be the only way to eat healthy.
My stomach has been unsettled several times since I've been here, but nothing too serious, fortunately... I did have one bad day, but fortunately the separatists agreed to a cease fire before I had to summon Ambassador Immodium for negotiations. I'm sure they'll be back.
The locals always seem to have at least three courses for lunch and dinner-- soup, salad, and the main course. I usually just stick with the main course for lunch. The salads are mayonnaise and tomato heavy, and I've been avoiding the soup since I splashed borscht all over one of my dress shirts last week. Plus, eating all three courses for lunch would be way too much-- the “light lunch" is a foreign concept here. I have yet to see my former mainstay--a good old turkey and cheese sandwich. Now that I think about it, I haven't any sandwiches whatsoever.
There are probably 15 to 20 quality restaurants in town. I've been to three or four, and have many more to explore. Unfortunately, the prices are not any better than in DC. It's kind of unsettling, but every time we're in the restaurant we seem to be the only party, or are one of two or three parties. The locals that can afford to eat out must eat much later when we're accustomed to (or else, the prices are so expensive because they can only count on one or two parties a night to keep the place open). My favorite so far is Boden-Boden, a German themed restaurant with beer can sized butane lighters on every table in the shape of a wooden keg.
Because my mobility is limited, I've only been to two grocery stores in town, and didn't have a lot of time to linger and explore. There's a pretty wide selection of food, mostly European (definitely nothing from the United States). Most of the packaged goods are heavily processed / artificial / full of sugar-- definitely no organic foods, and rarely an attempt to even market it as healthy. I feel like I'm shopping at a dollar store--lots of strange brand names, and uncertain quality. Unfortunately, the prices really aren't that much cheaper than in the US. I need to keep exploring and find some brand names that I like. Eventually, I'll hire someone to cook for me a couple of times a week—it may be the only way to eat healthy.
My stomach has been unsettled several times since I've been here, but nothing too serious, fortunately... I did have one bad day, but fortunately the separatists agreed to a cease fire before I had to summon Ambassador Immodium for negotiations. I'm sure they'll be back.

<< Home